Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mayflower

So, I've been dealing with alot of feelings of loneliness, frustration at being lonely, because let's face it, I don't NEED to be entertained. Right? Anyway, it's been a long time in coming, but we got a pet.

A sweet little cat named Mayflower. She's a six month old tortiseshell kitten with personality to spare. Affectionate, sweet, not remotely shy, she hungers for affection (sometimes at bad times, like five o'clock in the morning) but outgoing and sweet.

How it came about was a meant to be situation.

I was at my friend Amanda's house. I was talking to her about the things I'd been experiencing, and how I was feeling. I said that I was lonely at night, and had too much time to think. I mentioned how nice it would be to have a small warm body around to cuddle with at night. Just to chill. Someone to distract me. She has a small cat named Jax. She's a sweet little thing and Amanda mentioned how having a cat can be such a great relaxer. I thought "hmm..." because I'd asked Jeff recently and started to cry. I started to realize, I needed someone around. Even if it was a small someone who purrs and cuddles.

I went online at Amanda's house to look at the Edmonton Humane Society's webpage. I was also very eager to go to their new facility that they just built and had opened the week before. I wanted to see what it was like but knew that I couldn't go unless I was getting a pet. I haven't had a pet since I put my dog down 2 1/2 years ago. And that was the hardest thing I'd ever done.

Besides not having a pet that long, I have a little girl who doesn't favour animals the way Logan and I do. She's scared of my in-laws cats and my family's dogs. But she would have to get over that eventually. All sides have pets. Hell, her godparents have a farm!

So anyway, on the website, I saw this cute little cat. I figured it'd be hard to find her, but thought, why not go look. The drive was so long, but it was worth it. Logan and Olivia fell asleep for a while, and given they each had a cold, it was a good thing.

After passing the Humane Society's building three times...(well...read my previous blog...it's been a crazy two weeks) I got there. I walked into a beautiful building, filled with light, fresh air, and a ton of animals.

I went into one room, got bumrushed by two cats who wanted love really bad! One of them, I picked up, he seemed sweet. Then he went around the room and beat the hell out of each cat there. So yeah. He wasn't for us.

I went into the "cat condo" room right at the end of the hallway. In the last cage, there was Mayflower. I picked her up, and she immediately settled into my arms. She let the kids pet her and never shied away. Even Olivia was interested in her. Which sealed it, but still I thought I should look around. See who else might catch my attention. I looked carefully in each cage, saw a few that were sweet, but no one caught my attention like Mayflower did.

So I picked up her paperwork, and went to the desk to wait. And wait, and wait. Then they got the kitty and brought her to the interview room where they let her out. And she just wandered around, sniffing, with a 22 month old and a five year old following her around "Come here kitty, Hi kitty, nice kitty" and she just chilled. She checked everything out, and just chilled.

The ride home was relatively uneventful. She barely made a sound, but for the occasional mew.

I pulled up in front of the Petcetera near our house. There's a HUGE sign "Everything in store 20-70% off!" WOW! YES!! Kitty litter, regularly 10.77, 3.27!! MY GOD!! Toys 20% off, food 20%off...this is awesome! So I get my things, watch as the girl makes mistakes that work out in my favour (she knew she was doing it...didn't really care either) paid for them and went home.

I brought the cat into the house, opened her box and expected her to bolt and hide. Boy...I was wrong. She came out of the box and immediately started to explore. This is too good. Okay, so now I wait for her to do something wrong. Nothing. I was on the phone with my mother in law and my cat was now winding her way over my shoulders, through my arm holding the phone, just purring like an engine.

Bedtime. Okay. It's going to be a long night. I just know it. I can feel it. And....

I was wrong. Mayflower was a little wary of my bedroom, especially the white polar bear on my bed. After Mayflower realized she could get under the covers and cuddle with an execeptionally warm body, she settled in for the night. The first two nights were tough. I've been dealing with anxiety attacks and with the new warm little body in my bed, it was hard to sleep, but I did it.

Mothers Day, we went for dinner with friends. I figured for sure that we'd come home to something bad. Nope. She was sleeping on the chair, right where we left her two hours beforehand.

So our little kitten has settled very quickly into our lives. She loves the kids, Olivia's coming around very quickly and doesn't always freak out when Mayflower comes to her. For what it's worth Mayflower really wants to be Olivia's friend. She follows her around, it's funny to watch. She's even decided that Olivia's bed is a good place for rest when we're out of the house. She lets Logan haul her around, and cuddles in his lap on the big chair when he's up there chillin. It truly feels like it was meant to be. And that's what it should be. It shouldn't be a fight. And this won't be. She's a cute little cat, with alot of personality, and just wants love.

And we love her!! :)

2 comments: