Sunday, April 26, 2009

Americas Funniest Videos = Olivia's Worst Nightmare?

So, tonight Logan asked me if America's Funniest Videos (AFV) were on. I told him at four that they were on in a hour. Logan loves that show. He laughs and laughs and sometimes he over does it, but its to funny to watch him. He really loves the animal and kids videos. He dies over those!

Five o'clock rolls around, and I turn it on. Little did I know I would traumatize my 22 month old!

She was alright for most of it, with a few exceptions, but when they got to the montage with people falling off the roofs, she was in my lap crying "NO MOMMY!!" I couldn't help it. I laughed.

Then there was the little kid who ate the cricket!! EWWW!! Olivia cried so much.

They showed a clip of a little boy who took off his mask at Hallowe'en and had a bogie coming out of his nose. An albeit nasty large one, nothing I haven't encountered with my own children, but for some reason my "EWWWWie" was met with a great long wail of protest.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I've always known she was a sensitive little soul. She has cried when other babies cry since she was very small, like around three months old. We once heard a baby in Walmart and he was at the other end of the store, heading our way. She was about six months old in a shopping cart, looking around me for the baby, whimpering. I had to let her know that he was alright and his mommy would help him out as soon as she could. That helped. When the family finally passed us, she was in quite a conundrum. Get upset, or wait to see if his mommy attended to him? They left the store.

She's taken to hearing a child cry and say "Mommy help baby." (Meaning, their mommy will help them.) It seems to make her feel better.

But this is a new manifestation. And I have to say, a funny one at that. I know. I'm belittling her feelings, but she's 22 months old, I never said "Oh sweetie, don't cry!" I just asked her why she was crying.

My sweet girl. She's going to get trampled as she gets older. I guess she's more like her mommy than anyone thought. I'm fairly sensitive too. I might laugh it off at the time, but I can tell you, when something bugs me, it keeps me awake! I fret, I fuss, I worry, I think "Oh, if I had only just not said that!!" I've gotten better though. I don't worry about other people as much. My children, my husband, my home. Those are my primary concerns!

So I guess, she's gonna get banged up a bit. She's gonna be hurt. But I'll be there to help her move forward and get past those things. Because I've been there. That's my life!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to my life. R-Spot has become the most sensitive kid I've ever met; and living with the rednecks hasn't fostered her ability to 'toughen up' or 'take it like a man'.

    I think compassion is an emotion ingrained in little girls. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met some pretty cranky little girls though! Hahaha...I couldn't believe her last night! It's so funny! She's alright most of the time though. She handles the other kids and stuff. She'll fuss alot on Saturday during the party though. Hang out with me and Jeff most of the day. There will be alot of people invading her home!

    ReplyDelete